Winona County is accepting applications for this position until 4:00 p.m. November 18, 2019.
This position starts at $19.93/hour (DOQ) with advancement up to $25.78/hour.Characteristics of Class:
Work is performed under the general direction of the Highway Maintenance Superintendent; however, this position requires some independence and judgment. An employee in this classification operates heavy and light equipment and uses manual labor in the maintenance and repair of the County's highway, bridges and drainage systems. This position is occasionally required to traverse rough and irregular terrain by foot. This position does not have direct supervisory responsibility; however, may provide some limited work direction to subordinate highway maintenance workers.
Examples of Duties:
Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples listed in their relative order of importance include all the duties which may be found in positions of this class.
* Maintains and repairs county roads and bridges which includes performing one or more of the following activities: installing and repairing culverts, repairing road washouts, plowing snow, sanding/salting roads, digging trenches, patching blacktop, brush cutting, hauling crushed rock, and installing concrete pipes.
* Operates one or more of the following: motor grader, front-end loader, backhoe, sign truck, crawler cat, tractor, bobcat, bulldozer, and be familiar with their various capabilities.
* Maintains and operates portable power plant, screening plant, and stacking conveyors.
* Performs duties in extreme weather and often in the dark to provide the safest driving conditions for the traveling public.
* Represents the County in a positive, appropriate manner to the general public.
* Maintains shop buildings and grounds. Routine service to vehicles and equipment.
* May order, fabricate, repair, install, or adjust highway warning, information and construction signs along the county highway system.
* May serve as Department Safety Officer.
* Maintains in-house and field inventories of all signs.
* May serve as the lead worker for annual or semi-annual physical inventory of all materials and supplies.
* Any other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
This classification requires any combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
* Must possess and maintain a valid Class B driver’s license and within 1 year of hire obtain and maintain a Class A driver’s license with tanker endorsement.
* High School diploma or equivalent.
* Ability to pass initial and future random drug and alcohol tests.
* Some experience in heavy equipment operation, is desirable.
* Ability to operate vehicles during adverse weather conditions and to use vision to identify hazardous situations.
* Knowledge of road signs.
* Knowledge of road construction and maintenance materials, is desirable.
* Highway work zone safety experience is desirable.
* Ability to report to the assigned workstation within thirty minutes from notification in all weather extremes. The assigned workstation is the Utica Shop located at 16193 County Road 18, Utica, Minnesota.